Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My first visitors

What a special couple of days it’s been!! I had the pleasure of Chris and Elena’s company for the past two days and it’s been a blast! They arrived bright eyed and bushy tailed on Monday morning to a spectacular day of sunshine. It was so beautiful out one would think I’ve been lying about the crummy weather I have been putting up with!
We cruised into town and explored a few shops before enjoying a yummy meal at my favourite café – Ernestos (remember stellar coffee, free range eggs, and local meats… Yummm!)

After that we visited Te Papa – NZ’s National museum where we spent hours learning about their native wildlife, traditional Maori paperskin mask making, the signing of the Waitangi Treaty, and the deep cultural and spiritual significance of New Zealand’s Pounamou (greenstone). What a place! The entire museum is free and it’s full of amazing stories and exhibitions. I am definitely going to go back, hopefully with each and every one of you ;)

The evening was spent cooking dinner and catching up. Poor C+E spent the evening huddled by the heater. That 35 degree weather back in T.O. has meant a little acclimatizing is required over here! A good night’s sleep and they were up and at ‘em again. Sadly, I had to work but they both had exciting days exploring the city; Elena visiting the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary, Chris running 45k along the city trails and covering more ground than I’ve managed in a month! Crazy brother of mine…

After work, I went and met them at a restaurant called Chow – an Asian Fusion resto in downtown Welli. Super yummy and the company wasn’t bad either!
As I write this they are now headed Southbound on the Inter Islander ferry where they will spend the next week and a half exploring the South Island. I was half tempted to sneak myself into their suitcase but alas, I have responsibilities that I must attend to here…

I’m really looking forward to their return next week when we will take four days off and explore the North Island together. And (most importantly), Pete will be here by then!!! It will be fun gallivanting through the New Zealand wilderness with some of my favourite people!! Life is good.





No comments:

Post a Comment